Forums > The Library > Worlds.com
RIP Worlds.com
Created by Wirlaburla
Mar 24th, 2022 at 5:42 pm (edited)
https://www.worlds.com/
Archive

Seems they are "trying" to get into the Cryptocurrency and Metaverse craze. After the video mentioning "Worlds Patent Coin", thought that was for sure it. Don't know if they are actually gonna do anything but the site mentions BowieWorld v2.0 but we can't even get a working VIP payment system.
Mar 24th, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Sites down now.
Guys we knew the secrets too soon.
Mar 24th, 2022 at 9:05 pm
Mar 25th, 2022 at 1:36 am
Uh-oh.
Mar 25th, 2022 at 2:31 am (edited)
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2022/03/24/2409806/0/en/Worlds-Inc-Leveraging-Legacy-in-Virtual-Reality-Gaming-to-Develop-Technologies-to-Power-Tomorrow-s-Metaverses.html
Spoiler: Worlds Inc. Leveraging Legacy in Virtual Reality & Gaming to Develop Technologies to Power Tomorrow’s Metaverses
Boston, March 24, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Worlds Inc. (OTCQB: WDDD), a pioneer that collaborated on the production of Bowie World, the first celebrity metaverse in 1999 for David Bowie, and then developed 3D interactive online gaming technologies used by millions in today’s most popular online games, is now broadening its focus to developing the technologies that will power tomorrow’s immersive worlds.

“Worlds is now entering the third iteration of the metaverse – one where augmented reality (AR), cryptocurrencies, blockchain, and non-fungible tokens (NFTs) have emerged as disruptive forces reshaping areas as diverse as music, gaming, sports, fine art collecting, and shopping,” stated Thom Kidrin, CEO of Worlds Inc. “Today, Worlds has expanded its framework to strategically leverage NFTs and cryptocurrency to monetize digital assets, as well as interweave cryptocurrency and NFTs with new virtual reality (VR) and AR technologies in innovative ways to further enhance entertainment, business, education and many other aspects of our lives.”

Worlds made a name for itself in the early days of virtual reality by creating the first 3D multi-user metaverse by an international musical artist for David Bowie in 1999, and additional virtual worlds for Aerosmith, the New York Yankees, World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), DMC, MTV, Coca-Cola and other major brands. Worlds then developed patented 3D interactive online gaming technologies. Worlds has developed a blockchain cryptocurrency and will soon announce plans for new related business applications.

“We are assembling a network of powerful partners with whom we are collaborating to quickly develop these new initiatives and bring them to market in record time,” Kidrin noted. “We plan to announce these partnerships and initiatives within the coming weeks, and bring the first to market in April 2022. Concurrently, while we are preserving the legacy celebrity VR worlds for historical purposes, we will now upgrade select VR worlds to current state-of-the-art virtual reality and immersive platforms for the enjoyment by new generations of users.”

Follow our progress on Twitter: @worldsInc
I think it's safe to say that the open-source development of our custom third-party client and server software will be in the works. If Worlds is moving itself away from the very software we have used for ages, then perhaps it's time for an alternative.
Mar 25th, 2022 at 2:45 am
Also got the "Worlds Inc History" video on youtube before they deleted it. Not sure why they uploaded it or deleted it but I guess we now know Worlds Patent Coin wasn't just a simple joke.
Joined06/07/21
Posts69
Mar 25th, 2022 at 10:24 am
I feel so confused right now lmao.
Joined06/07/21
Posts8
Mar 25th, 2022 at 1:55 pm (edited)
Reading all of the word salad available on the official website and it seems like they're mostly pitching what they want to do and not actually what they can deliver. I'm all for seeing a new version of Bowieworld but I feel there's quite an extensive amount of copyright & potential problems involved in such a project, especially now that Bowie has been dead for years. What a weird world we live in.
Mar 25th, 2022 at 2:52 pm
I think it's safe to say that the open-source development of our custom third-party client and server software will be in the works. If Worlds is moving itself away from the very software we have used for ages, then perhaps it's time for an alternative.
i'm already skinning it lol
Mar 25th, 2022 at 4:44 pm
Reading all of the word salad available on the official website and it seems like they're mostly pitching what they want to do and not actually what they can deliver. I'm all for seeing a new version of Bowieworld but I feel there's quite an extensive amount of copyright & potential problems involved in such a project, especially now that Bowie has been dead for years. What a weird world we live in.
Yeah I don't believe they'll do anything as I am sure it'll be super difficult to. I think this is just food for investors because it wouldn't be the first time they would "anounce" something and never get to it. Just seems like a lot more effort going here than before. According to the article though, we'll see more in April so let's wait and see then.
Mar 25th, 2022 at 4:47 pm (edited)
Alright wait a minute...
https://twitter.com/WorldsInc/status/1507402996845580293
Spoiler: Tweets
Calling all #BowieFans! 🎸

Worlds Inc. is excited to announce our partnership with @BowieConvention, @DavidBowieGlam, & @SoundCity for #BowieConvention2022! Bowie Ball takes place on June 18, 2022, and features @JonnyWooUK, Rebel Heroes, @SonicYootha, & @menwhofell. 1/3
In 1999, we partnered with @DavidBowieReal to create #BowieWorld, the world's first 3D celebrity-themed virtual world. We look forward to celebrating Bowie's 75th birthday, his cutting-edge creativity, and his powerful legacy among fans in Liverpool. @SGHLpool 2/3
Stay tuned for updates leading up to the convention by following us! Tickets are selling out fast at http://bowieconvention.com #BowieForever #Bowie75 #ZiggyStardust #DavidBowie75 3/3
Mar 25th, 2022 at 4:50 pm (edited)
Wooh! First really wordy conversation on Worlio.

Here's the way I see it. I don't think this is going to turn out great, but not bad either. It's an NFT thing, businesses are still experimenting with the technology now that it's gotten (un)popular. Regardless of whether or not it's a wise financial decision on behalf of those investing as customers of NFT based "games", which is a whole other topic that's been debated over and over, I do believe it could make Worlds Inc a lot of money. It doesn't seem like they're too interested in shutting down the old Worlds Chat, from what I have heard, so they might just use this money from whatever the hell they're trying to do here to fund the older system (and Thom's wallets).

I don't wanna go on about why I don't like NFTs because it's been said a billion times by other people, but I do believe there is a bright side to all of this that could benefit us. That is, assuming it ever really happens.
Joined06/07/21
Posts69
Mar 25th, 2022 at 7:49 pm
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2022/03/24/2409806/0/en/Worlds-Inc-Leveraging-Legacy-in-Virtual-Reality-Gaming-to-Develop-Technologies-to-Power-Tomorrow-s-Metaverses.html
Spoiler: Worlds Inc. Leveraging Legacy in Virtual Reality & Gaming to Develop Technologies to Power Tomorrow’s Metaverses
Boston, March 24, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Worlds Inc. (OTCQB: WDDD), a pioneer that collaborated on the production of Bowie World, the first celebrity metaverse in 1999 for David Bowie, and then developed 3D interactive online gaming technologies used by millions in today’s most popular online games, is now broadening its focus to developing the technologies that will power tomorrow’s immersive worlds.

“Worlds is now entering the third iteration of the metaverse – one where augmented reality (AR), cryptocurrencies, blockchain, and non-fungible tokens (NFTs) have emerged as disruptive forces reshaping areas as diverse as music, gaming, sports, fine art collecting, and shopping,” stated Thom Kidrin, CEO of Worlds Inc. “Today, Worlds has expanded its framework to strategically leverage NFTs and cryptocurrency to monetize digital assets, as well as interweave cryptocurrency and NFTs with new virtual reality (VR) and AR technologies in innovative ways to further enhance entertainment, business, education and many other aspects of our lives.”

Worlds made a name for itself in the early days of virtual reality by creating the first 3D multi-user metaverse by an international musical artist for David Bowie in 1999, and additional virtual worlds for Aerosmith, the New York Yankees, World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), DMC, MTV, Coca-Cola and other major brands. Worlds then developed patented 3D interactive online gaming technologies. Worlds has developed a blockchain cryptocurrency and will soon announce plans for new related business applications.

“We are assembling a network of powerful partners with whom we are collaborating to quickly develop these new initiatives and bring them to market in record time,” Kidrin noted. “We plan to announce these partnerships and initiatives within the coming weeks, and bring the first to market in April 2022. Concurrently, while we are preserving the legacy celebrity VR worlds for historical purposes, we will now upgrade select VR worlds to current state-of-the-art virtual reality and immersive platforms for the enjoyment by new generations of users.”

I'd love this. Maybe IT IS time.
Mar 25th, 2022 at 10:20 pm

I would love to see a new Worlds client. Would open up potential for faster development and would allow us to heavily improve on the vanilla experience.

Right now the biggest thing I'm looking forward to is OpenGL support and some mods becoming built in features (whereis, logger, etc)
Mar 25th, 2022 at 10:55 pm

I would love to see a new Worlds client. Would open up potential for faster development and would allow us to heavily improve on the vanilla experience.

Right now the biggest thing I'm looking forward to is OpenGL support and some mods becoming built in features (whereis, logger, etc)
Right now the biggest hurdle is documenting the LvH2 file format. It's such a little known format that's not used anywhere else with barely any details on it. Everything else, I either have documentation on or am familiar with it. It wouldn't be that big of a deal to support if it wasn't primarily used for holograms, avatar textures and the sorts.

I'll be talking with some of my dev buddies to see if we can figure anything out. I believe the compression method is actually an undocumented derivative of another.
Mar 27th, 2022 at 1:35 am (edited)
Well, they re-released BowieWorld...
https://www.worlds.com/bowie-world
This is just all kinds of hilarious.

First thing you are greeted with is the download button. It's decently sized, being about 132 MB to download. Wow, BowieWorld seems big for the era of1999 it so claims right above it. So you think maybe it's the world or assets or something, right? WRONG! It's a fucking installer inside the ZIP. One fucking file inside that ZIP that they could've just put as the download instead. They only saved a few megabytes with the ZIP. Okay, so dedicated BowieWorld installer? Archival win? NOPE. It's a new client, except maybe it's not. It's 1922a11, which still has it's date set to be the same as 1922a10, has all the previous bugs of 1922a10, and has all the worlds included like 1922a10. The Bowie part of it? Well your landing world has changed, hasn't it?

But the best part, the absolute best parts, require no downloading. On that very page you downloaded that mess of a ZIP, you get the best imagery I have ever seen.

The fucking beauty of this single image is amazing.
  • The iMac without the Apple logo
  • The blurry display
  • The python (?) in the IDE
  • The beautiful "reflection" on the laptop
  • THE PRINTED OUT PAPER OF THE IDE ON THE SCREEN TERRIBLY CROPPED
Mar 27th, 2022 at 2:29 am (edited)
I love how they just put a screenshot of an IDE and fullscreened it onto the desktop
Joined06/07/21
Posts69
Mar 27th, 2022 at 12:25 pm
WHY WOULD SOMEONE PRINT CODE WITH BLACK BACKGROUND??? The money that will come in will be to pay for all that wasted ink
Mar 27th, 2022 at 1:37 pm
Did anyone try out the new Bowie world? How is it?
Mar 27th, 2022 at 3:09 pm
Did anyone try out the new Bowie world? How is it?
As far as I'm aware it's just the original Bowie World repackaged into a new Worlds build with it set as the default instead of GroundZero
Guest posting not allowed
Please log in to post a reply.