Forums > The Library > Worlds.com
RIP Worlds.com
Created by Wirlaburla
Mar 27th, 2022 at 4:02 pm (edited)
Did anyone try out the new Bowie world? How is it?
As far as I'm aware it's just the original Bowie World repackaged into a new Worlds build with it set as the default instead of GroundZero
very odd, thought (or was hoping) there would be some differences
Mar 27th, 2022 at 6:56 pm
WHY WOULD SOMEONE PRINT CODE WITH BLACK BACKGROUND??? The money that will come in will be to pay for all that wasted ink
The best/worst part is that it's not even just printing it on a black background, IT'S FUCKING PRINTING THE ENTIRE SCREEN OF THE DESKTOP ON IT. They took the "Print Screen" key literally.
Mar 27th, 2022 at 7:02 pm
WHY WOULD SOMEONE PRINT CODE WITH BLACK BACKGROUND??? The money that will come in will be to pay for all that wasted ink
The best/worst part is that it's not even just printing it on a black background, IT'S FUCKING PRINTING THE ENTIRE SCREEN OF THE DESKTOP ON IT. They took the "Print Screen" key literally.
when i was a child i thought this was what print screen actually did
Mar 27th, 2022 at 7:32 pm (edited)
That was actually it's purpose.
From Wikipedia on "Print Screen"
Original use
Under command-line based operating systems such as MS-DOS, this key causes the contents of the current text mode screen memory buffer to be copied to the standard printer port, usually LPT1. In essence, whatever is currently on the screen when the key is pressed will be printed. Pressing the Ctrl key in combination with Prt Sc turns on and off the "printer echo" feature. When echo is in effect, any conventional text output to the screen will be copied ("echoed") to the printer.
Mar 27th, 2022 at 7:53 pm
That was actually it's purpose.
From Wikipedia on "Print Screen"
Original use
Under command-line based operating systems such as MS-DOS, this key causes the contents of the current text mode screen memory buffer to be copied to the standard printer port, usually LPT1. In essence, whatever is currently on the screen when the key is pressed will be printed. Pressing the Ctrl key in combination with Prt Sc turns on and off the "printer echo" feature. When echo is in effect, any conventional text output to the screen will be copied ("echoed") to the printer.
Huh... neat
Apr 1st, 2022 at 9:51 am
I'm wondering if there will be any happenings in Bowie world around the time of that event
Apr 1st, 2022 at 1:33 pm
I'm wondering if there will be any happenings in Bowie world around the time of that event
doubt it unless the community organizes something ourselves
Apr 1st, 2022 at 9:32 pm
You're probably right, I just got my hopes up, I love David Bowie
Apr 25th, 2022 at 9:08 am
Reading all of the word salad available on the official website and it seems like they're mostly pitching what they want to do and not actually what they can deliver. I'm all for seeing a new version of Bowieworld but I feel there's quite an extensive amount of copyright & potential problems involved in such a project, especially now that Bowie has been dead for years. What a weird world we live in.
Yeah I don't believe they'll do anything as I am sure it'll be super difficult to. I think this is just food for investors because it wouldn't be the first time they would "anounce" something and never get to it. Just seems like a lot more effort going here than before. According to the article though, we'll see more in April so let's wait and see then.
So it's almost May and nothing much has happened yet. I noticed this last night and wanted to see if anyone else was talking about it. Now I don't know the Worlds Team personally or anything, but I frankly don't think they know what they're getting into and are just doing this to try and revive their platform. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic, but dammit a man can hope.

My concern (like most people) is with the NFT part specifically, and this is what makes me think that they kinda don't know what's going on. If they did even a miniscule amount of research, they would probably not do NFTs seeing how easily they can become scams. I think they're doing this because they need money (I highly doubt Worlds has been profitable for years now and it's basically been a group personal project during this time), but you know what's better than NFTs? Merch. I unironically would buy a world shirt if they offered them for sale, especially if it employs World's current wacky 90s aesthetic.

Somewhat unrelated but I saw people talking about alternatives for Worlds, and I think the best alternative would be ActiveWorlds. From what I understand, it was developed to compete with Worlds within Worlds Inc (both were developed by different teams for the same company) during 1994 and later split off, seems to have had a much greater internet presence than Worlds, and has an SDK available to download. Granted I haven't played it myself, but it seems like a great alternative. Although, I'll be honest in saying that unless NFTs and such start to affect actually using Worlds, I probably won't quit.
Joined09/12/21
Posts4
May 22nd, 2022 at 8:38 pm
GroundZero is installed in worlds.ini twice
InstalledWorld29=GroundZero
InstalledWorld30=BWAvatar
InstalledWorld31=Chaos
InstalledWorld32=BWCourt
InstalledWorld33=BWArt
InstalledWorld34=BWStore
InstalledWorld35=BWChurch
InstalledWorld36=BWStreet
InstalledWorld37=BWDecade
InstalledWorld38=BWTheatre
InstalledWorld39=GroundZero
May 23rd, 2022 at 3:14 pm (edited)
Worlds Inc. on their way to begin minting and selling DeadserverCoin

Bored Bowie NFTs when??
Joined09/24/22
Posts6
Oct 12th, 2022 at 8:22 pm
I think it's safe to say that the open-source development of our custom third-party client and server software will be in the works. If Worlds is moving itself away from the very software we have used for ages, then perhaps it's time for an alternative.
i'm already skinning it lol
Very interesting......
Oct 13th, 2022 at 2:45 am
Update: Investors are pissed. InvestorHub is filled with people taking the piss on Thom. The NFTs have not launched despite being promised in July, and investors have lost way more money than they even wanted to gain. It's gotten bad enough that a mod of the board is shitting on Thom.

Thom, you've done fucked up.

https://investorshub.advfn.com/Worlds-Inc-9155
Oct 13th, 2022 at 9:54 am
The NFTs have not launched despite being promised in July, and investors have lost way more money than they even wanted to gain.
Most NFTs aren't usually profitable for investors anyhow since their value is artificial, this just sounds like early karma to me. I do wonder if and how this will negatively impact Worlds however.
Oct 13th, 2022 at 11:27 am
The NFTs have not launched despite being promised in July, and investors have lost way more money than they even wanted to gain.
Most NFTs aren't usually profitable for investors anyhow since their value is artificial, this just sounds like early karma to me. I do wonder if and how this will negatively impact Worlds however.
Well if one thing's for certain, NFT bros aren't gonna be very fond of it. But considering this is the same guy who filed a bunch of lawsuits over a patent which has been ruled as invalid by courts, I'm not exactly sure what they expected. It may not affect Worlds' reputation outside the Crypto-NTF-Web3 space though, as everyone outside it probably doesn't care that there's been another scam failed project involving NFTs.

Who knows, maybe Thom overslept for 3 months and they're coming out tomorrow and Worlds is gonna be the poster child for Web3. Or not.
Oct 13th, 2022 at 11:05 pm (edited)
Who knows, maybe Thom overslept for 3 months and they're coming out tomorrow and Worlds is gonna be the poster child for Web3. Or not.
Web 3 is mainly just a hyped marketing term without any real substance, as there's no really clear definition that tells us what Web 3 is really supposed to be because people keep trying too hard to innovate off of it without much thought. From what I understand it's supposed to be blockchain or decentralization based communication, but that's not really new and I don't see why we gotta make it a big deal now. It seems like anything that calls itself "Web 3" is just an excuse to make self proclaimed crypto experts waste their money. Like that one game console that got backlash for overpromising on specs and advertising features without any practicality, don't remember the name but it was a total flop critically.

I guess my point is that I don't think Worlds is going to get anywhere with this Web 3 thing, and if they implement it at all I'm sure it's going to die out pretty quick. It's not going to improve where the original Worldsplayer failed.
Oct 13th, 2022 at 11:16 pm (edited)
Web 3 is mainly just a hyped marketing term without any real substance, as there's no really clear definition that tells us what Web 3 is really supposed to be because people keep trying too hard to innovate off of it without much thought. From what I understand it's supposed to be blockchain or decentralization based communication, but that's not really new and I don't see why we gotta make it a big deal now. It seems like anything that calls itself "Web 3" is just an excuse to make self proclaimed crypto experts waste their money. Like that one game console that got backlash for overpromising on specs and advertising features without any practicality, don't remember the name but it was a total flop critically.

I guess my point is that I don't think Worlds is going to get anywhere with this Web 3 thing, and if they implement it at all I'm sure it's going to die out pretty quick. It's not going to improve where the original Worldsplayer failed.
Worlds didn't even get anywhere with Web2. It still launches Internet Explorer, for goodness sakes.
Oct 24th, 2022 at 10:58 am

Damn that's almost like the point of what I was saying.
Apr 5th, 2023 at 8:51 pm
It just keeps getting better worse! I had no idea about this but apparently they had a video of a new "in development" Worlds.
And it sucks ass.

https://www.worlds.com/in-development-1

Listen Thom, maybe you should focus on things that will make your virtual chat program interesting and unique in the modern era. People wanna be creative and unique, not as close as a virtual representation to themselves in a virtual city as possible.
Take VRchat: It's community is absolutely shit but it's popular and works because you can pretty much slap on an avatar of anything and be in a world of whatever. Nobody fucking wants to be a low-quality version of themselves wearing a headset. Just fucking let people wear a goddamn minotaur head, become a Pengo, or whatever the fuck. This? This is horrible. Not only do these people look SO BAD, but it's just talking and "dancing". Thom, get off your rocker and learn some things from the old Worlds.com. Stop making the exact same goddamn VR metaverse garbage down shit that every other company has been trying and failing at.

I swear to god, they shut down WorldsPlayer and replace it with this garbage, they best file for bankruptcy.
Joined06/07/21
Posts44
Apr 5th, 2023 at 10:49 pm
My face watching this

Just wow, Who's the target demographic here? Maybe its just to sate the shareholders? It's so bewildering and awful lmao.
Guest posting not allowed
Please log in to post a reply.