Forums > The Worlio Zone > Site Discussion
May 31st, 2023 at 6:39 pm
A place for me to share things that might be coming soon and for you guys to give your feedback. This is more for what is upcoming and suggestions on already coming features. If you want to suggest a new feature or idea, please head to the Suggestions board instead.
Jun 1st, 2023 at 12:02 am
Jun 1st, 2023 at 12:49 am (edited)
I swear to god it's happening. This next upcoming update is pretty much going to be working on everything that I've promised or needed to do. Tired of half-assing updates.

Right now, I'm doing backend support changes, API, and smoothing out the design of the site. You can kind of see some of it functional on the test domain now.
Jun 3rd, 2023 at 6:01 pm
Just re-sharing things I've already shared on Twitter here.

Jun 12th, 2023 at 5:40 pm (edited)
Still doing backend changes but also in the process of fixing the theme stylesheets to not be a mess so I can actually work on things, but with that comes some design changes.
This is what the new forum looks like. Width is limited so posts aren't insanely stretched out, which makes it easier to read. Other than that, it's mostly refining edges, adding some gradient, making it feel nicer.

You can see in this one, the visual editor is getting an overhaul too. I think it looks nicer and when I am done with it, will feel nicer too.

I've been a victim of the Quick Reply on my own forum for some time. I go to type something up in it and I ended up needing to preview it. I decided to make Quick Reply just a plain text-box and added a button that'll take you (along with your current draft) to the full editor. Clicking "Reply" on any post will add the quote to the Quick Reply so you can stack quotes up. MUCH NEEDED.

Other than that, it is still mostly backend changes. Migrating to a different database backend and updating existing code to work with it is still taking some time, but it's progressing.
Jun 20th, 2023 at 12:41 am (edited)
In the future, you'll be able to tip users a token for their posts.

But for now, I'm too busy having fun watching my coins.
Jul 10th, 2023 at 9:51 pm
The lack of any updates in this thread is just because I've not had much to update on. I still have a lot to do but things are improving. The test domain pages process about 40ms faster than our current production domain (this), which I think is a benefit of our migrations. It's nice regardless.

There is also a lot of redesigning and re-implementation happening. Some pages just weren't cutting it and needed to be redone entirely to make comfortable. The forum was definitely no exception to this, and I think it was a huge improvement as the pages look a lot nicer and more appealing. However, they aren't the only pages that need updating. I think I'm going to minimize the usage of tabs in pages, as it was a neat gimmick but it really isn't necessary and makes some pages just seem and feel worse.

Will hopefully have some new images or news to share with soon. Be patient and remember that this update is what I call "The update that fixes absolutely everything I am annoyed by."
Jul 30th, 2023 at 11:21 pm (edited)
I have come with more goodies.

First and foremost: The Archival Library had a small overhaul (ignore the missing icons). It's searchable so when the list eventually gets bigger, it's not hard to find things.

The pages themselves (along with some styles) have also been updated. I mentioned in the previous post that I was going to cut-back in tabs, and that I have. The "tabs" in this page are separate pages that keep the appearance. Additionally, I have moved the Wiki to the front of attention by having pages embedded in the main page. It'll be easier to maintain the information displayed on the library and gravitate more importance to the Wiki.

A potentially controversial but reasonable change is the redesign of profiles, and the removal of HTML. Not very many users stylize their profiles, and we have our user site system which would be a better option for having customized pages. I'm changing profiles to instead use BBcode, but style sheets will remain.

I'm working on a lot more things. The site is generally feeling a lot more complete as I do my redesigning and refactoring. It's gonna be a loooong changelog.
Aug 13th, 2023 at 4:32 am
Still doing heavy modifications to the back-end. A lot of optimizations right now, to the point where our back-end code looks nothing like it did before. I'm striving for quality, and with that, the devel domain is about 4x faster at processing pages and about twice as secure.

Feels almost like a breeze now.
Oct 25th, 2023 at 11:40 pm
Still going but going slowly. I dragged a poor innocent soul to help work with me on this update. No guarantees we'll be able to get something out this year. A lot of designing and allocation is going into making this update possible and not a bunch of glue.

Nothing new to show or anything.
Nov 14th, 2023 at 4:41 am
Reworking the frontend of the file manager on the test domain. Codenamed "Commander", it will attempt to be more modular, easy to use, and full of features. I want it to be possible to make a cool static site with images, HTML, and many pages all without ever leaving your browser. Well, I want to get close.

Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions. Now is the time.
Dec 13th, 2023 at 7:05 pm
To take a break from the frontend, I tackled the backend of the file manager. I've been hammering away at our FTP server that'll handle direct connections and websocket, so our web frontend will instead use this server. This allows me to both perfect only a single backend and keep things consistent.

The backend is working fantastic. I've started this server from scratch C++ and keeping it optimized and efficient is a main priority. I'm still implementing a lot of FTP functionality and there is still a lot to do before actually integrating it into anything working, but it is getting there. For now, it is able to handle thousands of connections simultaneously transmitting files without an issue. The web frontend will use this ftp backend but will have to be restricted due to HTTP and transfer limits on our web server. I will not be setting transfer rates on the FTP server, I'll be letting it dynamically adjust accordingly.
Guest posting not allowed
Please log in to post a reply.