Forums > Talk > Games
Sep 27th, 2022 at 12:36 pm
About 3 months ago I bought Nintendo Swith Sports. I had low expectations for it, but I decided to give it a try. I'm really a Nintendo fan, I have most of their consoles and the Wii is my favorite for obvious reasons. Good games no matter if they were 3rd party or not, games like TLoZ, Wii Party, Wii Sports, Mario Bros, etc. And of course, in my mind I have Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort marked as part of my childhood. That's why I decided to buy Nintendo Switch Sports.
Actually, I played it twice and left it, a disappointment because of how bad it was. It has things that were not in the old one, so they have not kept the old sports or Wii Sports or Resort. They have kept bowling, tennis and I think that already, the rest is a crap that do not even matter of how simple they are. They have removed baseball, boxing, golf and many others that were there, not to mention the damn online payment that is not worth to play this disgusting game.

When I get a chance I'll sell it at a thrift store and get some money out of it. I have come to the conclusion that 100% all modern nintendo sequels or ports suck. For example Splatoon, which 2 and 3 is the same nonsense. There is also the ports of Mario Bros, Zelda, they are not worth it. And not to mention the "Deluxe", which are the same Wii U games but on the Switch, it's very ridiculous, they would have left the same name instead of trying to give it another image which failed to happen.

I sincerely support the Wii U because it's not a bad console, it just didn't know how to use it and that's very annoying.
Nintendo is declining a lot in terms of new games, because they don't bring us new stories or new releases. Although I think the only release that will be worth it is the continuation of Breath of The Wild, at least my favorite saga has not been killed.

In short, forcibly making old titles in a modern way only brings negative criticism, because the essence of what it really was is no longer as it was, and it sucks a lot for the same reason. I don't understand how some people can be such a fan of Nintendo that they have to buy every port, sequel or nonsense they release just because, for that they pirate the game or play it on the old console LMAO.
Sep 27th, 2022 at 4:31 pm (edited)
I stopped caring about Nintendo during the Switch era honestly. They've finally hit a point where they just don't have to try and give a shit anymore. The Wii U was, strangely, the last of the Nintendo we used to know and love. It really sucks because I grew up with them and there used to be a time where I could buy a Nintendo console impulsively without much second thought and just be happy with it.

My Switch broke recently, just before I got my Steam Deck shipped here from Valve about a month ago. I will be using that as my substitute. PS4 is also looking pretty appealing now that people are upgrading to the next gen and selling their old consoles. Wipeout 2048 alone was worth getting a new console for, but what really makes it special is that Sony at least put effort into their hardware. I don't remember the last time I could say the same for a Nintendo console. I sure as hell didn't buy it for FAST RMX or Mario Maker, I will tell you that. Those are good games but they're permanently tied to a horrible platform. I got the Switch back then because I still had confidence in it, but as time has evolved I've realized that it's an underpowered and lazily built piece of hardware that has nothing good going for it other than exclusives full of horrible DRM and paywalls. Switch is missing features that have been a staple of gaming devices for a very long time, and it really just seems like Nintendo was trying to push something trendy out before they bit the dust. Well, it's working out very well for them financially, maybe even too well. Emulation and homebrew is the only thing that can save the Switch for me at this point. From the absurd paywalls, to the cheaply built hardware, to the constant controller failures, the aggressive copyright enforcement, and the lack of care given for consumer demand, the Nintendo Switch marks a point in time where Nintendo stopped having an incentive to listen to anyone else.

My best friend got Splatoon 3 on launch. He wants me to play with him. I would do so, if I didn't have to break an arm and a leg to pay for a game that is stuck on a platform that doesn't respect it's customers.
Sep 27th, 2022 at 8:00 pm
I stopped caring about Nintendo during the Switch era honestly. They've finally hit a point where they just don't have to try and give a shit anymore. The Wii U was, strangely, the last of the Nintendo we used to know and love. It really sucks because I grew up with them and there used to be a time where I could buy a Nintendo console impulsively without much second thought and just be happy with it.

My Switch broke recently, just before I got my Steam Deck shipped here from Valve about a month ago. I will be using that as my substitute. PS4 is also looking pretty appealing now that people are upgrading to the next gen and selling their old consoles. Wipeout 2048 alone was worth getting a new console for, but what really makes it special is that Sony at least put effort into their hardware. I don't remember the last time I could say the same for a Nintendo console. I sure as hell didn't buy it for FAST RMX or Mario Maker, I will tell you that. Those are good games but they're permanently tied to a horrible platform. I got the Switch back then because I still had confidence in it, but as time has evolved I've realized that it's an underpowered and lazily built piece of hardware that has nothing good going for it other than exclusives full of horrible DRM and paywalls. Switch is missing features that have been a staple of gaming devices for a very long time, and it really just seems like Nintendo was trying to push something trendy out before they bit the dust. Well, it's working out very well for them financially, maybe even too well. Emulation and homebrew is the only thing that can save the Switch for me at this point. From the absurd paywalls, to the cheaply built hardware, to the constant controller failures, the aggressive copyright enforcement, and the lack of care given for consumer demand, the Nintendo Switch marks a point in time where Nintendo stopped having an incentive to listen to anyone else.

My best friend got Splatoon 3 on launch. He wants me to play with him. I would do so, if I didn't have to break an arm and a leg to pay for a game that is stuck on a platform that doesn't respect it's customers.
You're absolutely right man, that makes me feel nintendo after the Wii U. Wii U had really fucking good potential but it wasn't taken advantage of, not to mention how convenient its menu and everything in general was. On aesthetic grounds it was pretty too lmao, it was very good. But the switch sucks compared to any machine of this new generation. You can't afford to put themes like on the 3DS, Switch is black or white, very simple backgrounds and not cool at all. The controllers have drift and it has happened to me like 4 times already, and I had to buy a nintendo USB controller because then I was screwed without playing, since I had to throw away the controllers and I only had ONE CONTROLLER left since I don't have money for another controller, which is the left one. The controllers are not bad, the bad thing is how horrible they are in base creation, it seems as if they have spent 5 euros for each item to make it and then it's worth 80 euros to buy them. Wtf, it's very silly how a console can be so bad. I only use it for minecraft, which I play with a friend who doesn't have a pc, for SSB Ultimate, DOOM and other games that I don't even play anymore.
Nintendo sells every game for 60 euros, even if they are ports or remakes, I think it's wrong because it makes no sense. Not to mention how bad are the cartridges of the switch, which obviously can break easily. I have the NES and it's up to twice as strong as the switch, sounds pretty dumb.

Now they took out the OLED, which is more of the same, they just fixed the back pin on the switch to make it bigger, WHICH SHOULD HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY, MINE FALLS ALL THE TIME LMAO, it's a very small pin for this console. It's like giving the Wii U gamepad a pin of the same size, obviously doesn't make sense.
The Switch looks like they made it in a hurry, it's literally an OS and that's it, it has no interface in general, it has no feeling that you can tell it's created with meaning. A good idea but poorly thought out. Even the lite makes more sense with respect to controls, because they are glued and so you avoid losing them or other nonsense, but for the drift it is obvious that this console is useless.
Feb 13th, 2023 at 9:46 am
They've finally hit a point where they just don't have to try and give a shit anymore.
Probably because they don't need to. Have you seen the Nintendo cultists? Those guys are clinically insane. Nintendo could reveal that they cool their ancient servers with the blood of child laborers that outlived their usefulness and they'd be overdosing on copium saying things like "It's what they need to do to keep the lights on" and bullshit like that. I'm sure we can all understand having somewhat of a soft spot for companies that make our favorite game series, but they are unhealthily non-critical of Nintendo.

And really, the Nintendo of now is how they've always been, with the exception of Iwata as the CEO. For example, in 1989 Nintendo tried to sue Blockbuster for renting out cartridges with photocopied manuals, and tried to block the rental of cartridges all together. Developers also hated them because in an era of CDROMs Nintendo repeatedly decided to go with proprietary formats which were harder to develop on and much more expensive because Nintendo controlled the prices. This is why in the mid 90s-early 2000s Nintendo got decimated by their competition.
Feb 13th, 2023 at 10:27 am (edited)
They've finally hit a point where they just don't have to try and give a shit anymore.
Probably because they don't need to. Have you seen the Nintendo cultists? Those guys are clinically insane. Nintendo could reveal that they cool their ancient servers with the blood of child laborers that outlived their usefulness and they'd be overdosing on copium saying things like "It's what they need to do to keep the lights on" and bullshit like that. I'm sure we can all understand having somewhat of a soft spot for companies that make our favorite game series, but they are unhealthily non-critical of Nintendo.

And really, the Nintendo of now is how they've always been, with the exception of Iwata as the CEO. For example, in 1989 Nintendo tried to sue Blockbuster for renting out cartridges with photocopied manuals, and tried to block the rental of cartridges all together. Developers also hated them because in an era of CDROMs Nintendo repeatedly decided to go with proprietary formats which were harder to develop on and much more expensive because Nintendo controlled the prices. This is why in the mid 90s-early 2000s Nintendo got decimated by their competition.
Exactly, though with the launch of the Switch I think they finally dove into the deep end. They had some redeeming qualities before at least. Now they're charging money for a previously free online service where most of their first party games don't even have the most basic of rollback netcode.
If your online service is worse than the shit that some nerds perfected in 1996 and gave away for free, don't charge me for it. Twenty dollars a year isn't a lot, but it's still insultingly high considering what you're getting is as bad as, or possibly worse than, what Nintendo offered in 2006.

The hardware is cheap and unreliable, the in-house games aren't optimized--everything that was an issue with pre-2017 Nintendo became unbearable with the 9th generation. I could tolerate them before, but that was where it crossed the line for me.

I'm glad that Nintendo effectively handed the victory to Sony in the 5th gen because now I have choices.

Some quotes from Nintendo fanboys:
"The Switch isn't powerful enough to handle interpolated netcode!" (Yes it can, infact, a 686 could do that shit before you were born)
"Nintendo doesn't have the resources to fix joycon drift!" (Yes, they do. It's a simple design flaw that modders have figured out how to fix in 5 minutes.)
"They couldn't afford to let 3DS players upload their own levels to SMM3DS!" (The Switch came out shortly after and would have easily covered the server costs.)

There was also this one guy who was complaining on Twitter that computers were slow because they needed dynamic resolution to handle triple A games (this is not always the case) and that Switch games did not have this option because they didn't need it (some do have this option, it is force enabled. FAST RMX and Fortnite being key examples.)
I don't know who in their right mind would think that LESS graphics options means a MORE optimized game, especially when the people needing to use dynamic res on PC are people like me with 8 year old graphics cards anyway, and even then we run those games better than most consoles ever could.
I hate when console fanboys talk about computer hardware like they know everything about it, and then blindly say dumb shit like this that makes absolutely no sense. It's so blatant that none of them have ever worked on a game SDK before.
Guest posting not allowed
Please log in to post a reply.