Forums > The Library > General Library > Worlds.com Time Capsule
Nov 19th, 1996 at 2:50 pm
Why is it that when I try to connect it says,
Timeout!no connection established.
I'd appreciate if someone E-mailed me or posted a message that
would help me out.
Thank you,
This is an archived post from a previous discussion platform. It is preserved here for archival purposes.

Original ID: 238
Source:
Wayback Source:
Author: New User <omars [at] erols.com>
Timestamp: November 19, 1996 at 14:50:54
Nov 19th, 1996 at 3:15 pm
Hello New User and welcome to Gold !!!

Usually you will get thoes messages if you don't have a good connection to your server... Make sure your connection is good before you try to go into Worlds Chat... If you can't establish a good connection then you had better find out what your connection problem is ...

That's my best suggestion but I'm sure it's not the only one you will get here... *smile* ...... by the way... No one can e-mail you as you forgot to leave an address to reach you at... *grin*

bye for now...

Daphne
This is an archived post from a previous discussion platform. It is preserved here for archival purposes.

Original ID: 239
Source:
Wayback Source:
Author: Daphne
Timestamp: November 19, 1996 at 15:15:25
Nov 19th, 1996 at 6:13 pm
Hi Chico,

You need a solid connection to get in Worlds Chat. This doesn't mean the fastest modem in the world. In fact, it my opinion that a good 14,400 baud modem performs as well as a 28.8 in Worlds Chat. But you need to make sure your connection is able to send about 5 tiny messages (I've seen anywhere from 32bytes to 400bytes for each message) to Worlds Chat's server each second.

How do you do that?

You can get technical and read all the frequently asked questions other users have written for your dial-up software. And make the necessary improvements. (later I'll go over that)
You can cheat that and ask your service provider to do it with you.

-Or-

The least technical, but offers less of a benefit. Edit your WORLDS.INI file, and change some lines. Try this first, as it's the easiest thing to do.
Here's what to look for...
(Inside your WORLDS.INI file, I use Windows "Note Pad" to open it - and it's located in your WINDOWS directory, you will see something close to this...) There is also an Icon to WORLDS.INI that was made when you installed the software. It's up to you to find that!

[CHAT]
ProductCDRoot=F:\WCG
ProductDrive=F:
ProductHDRoot=C:\WORLDS\CHAT
tuneFileExtension=.WSB
TFRPORT=5150
TFRSERVER=chatgold.worlds.net
TIMEOUT=15

Do not concern yourself with the directories. We are only interested in two lines any way. Try to change the connect lines and see if that helps. Target these two lines...

TIMEOUT=15
First try to make it wait longer for a connection. Put a semi-colon in front of the TIMEOUT=15 line to keep Worlds Chat from reading the line, and then type your own line. Change the 15 to 60. This will change the number of seconds Worlds Chat will wait for a connection.

TIMEOUT=60
;TIMEOUT=15
Save, and try to connect to Worlds after changing the TIMEOUT settings. If that does not work. Close Worlds Chat. (You may have to press "File" then "Exit" with your mouse.) and change the TFRSERVER line to the numeric address. This will help your computer look up Worlds Chat's server if your computer is having trouble finding it on the internet.

TFRSERVER=205.153.210.35
;TFRSERVER=chatgold.worlds.net
TIMEOUT=60
;TIMEOUT=15
Save and try to connect again. If this doesn't help you need to do the hard stuff to get connected. And it's worth it to set your computer up properly any way. You will get better performance from all your internet software if you fine tune your connection. Search for help with your dial-up connection software. Use Netscape and your favorite search site for help with your dial-up software. (I.E. Windows 95 Dial-Up Connection, Trumpet Winsock, NetManage Internet Chameleon...) Read all you can. Try to find information regarding Accessing a Dynamic Internet Service. (I.E. Internet Relay Chat - "IRC", Video Conference, Internet Phones, On-Line Video Games...) Look for ways to improve your connection. Trumpet Winsock offers one such option for this. You can change the time it waits before asking for information from a server incase of lag. (RTO MAX=60, change to RTO MAX=10) The default is 60 seconds which is forever to dynamic software applications. Windows 95's Dial-Up Network does not offer any such easy improvements. If you get into it too deep. Ask your ISP for help. If you have a Service (I.E. AOL, Compuserve, Prodigy...) consider a direct connection to the internet, and find a local internet service provider. Some things to keep in consideration is that the internet is constantly active. Since late 1994 it has gone from a few ten thousand users to over 5 million. And it doubles each year. (Some over sea's connections double each 4 months!) People are getting on it, signing off, sending files, upgrading their servers... All this effects your connection. Your computer will travel through several servers using each as a stepping stone to pass off information. And you will more than likely be connected to as little as 5 up to 30+ servers before finally getting to Worlds Chat. If one or more of those servers are lagged, your going to see problems as your information travels through it and back.

The internet has it's busy times and slow times. You will get the best performance during the slow times.

Most of all, Good luck!
Odin

Original ID: 242
Source:
Wayback Source:
Author: Odin <chuckr [at] ptw.com>
Timestamp: November 19, 1996 at 18:13:53