Forums > The Library > General Library > Worlds.com Time Capsule
Nov 13th, 1996 at 9:56 pm
With the help of my friends, The Mixed Nuts and The Penguins (yes, and the Penguins) we are planning a WELCOME GUESTS party on the OB deck on Saturday, November 30, 1996 at:

6:30PM Pacific
8:30PM Central
9:30PM Eastern

All we are asking is for attendance from any regulars that enjoy the Guests, and want to see more guests enjoy the program enough to become regulars. We do need some help! Right now I am asking for regulars to volunteer for many things: serving food and drinks, greeting, and teaching guests tricks like flying from the Fire Walk and the Water Walk and getting small. We were also talking about a "whisper session" with guests that want to know what is behind those doors they cannot go through! I hope I am making this announcement in enough time that we can have a well thought out and planned party!!
I will continue to post here as developments occur. Please e-mail me if you would like to volunteer to help out!
We have discussed it and feel that for the Guest Party all regulars that are "assisting" should wear an avatar that the Guests can see so they feel comfortable.
Please spread the word among your guest friends?!
Also, please post here with any ideas.

Thanks for listening! Hope to see you there and PLEASE post any suggestions?!
This is an archived post from a previous discussion platform. It is preserved here for archival purposes.

Original ID: 194
Source:
Wayback Source:
Author: IreneTheDitz <Irene [at] emco.com>
Timestamp: November 13, 1996 at 21:56:06
Nov 14th, 1996 at 8:45 am
Maybe we should all be Defbots! Demo users have that Av, and it's not in their Gallery. So it also give us a chance to let them know about custom avatars!

This sounds like alot of fun... Count me in for technical issues to extend to teaching tricks and such!

See ya there,
Odin
This is an archived post from a previous discussion platform. It is preserved here for archival purposes.

Original ID: 197
Source:
Wayback Source:
Author: Odin <chuckr [at] ptw.com>
Timestamp: November 14, 1996 at 08:45:25
Nov 14th, 1996 at 8:55 am
Hey Irene:

How about posting directions here to the ob deck, for those guests who may not
know the way?

See you on the 30th!!

Dark Knight

Original ID: 198
Source:
Wayback Source:
Author: Dark Knight <jpnich [at] agt.net>
Timestamp: November 14, 1996 at 08:55:18
Nov 14th, 1996 at 9:19 am
****Count me in...I'll be on a tour of the wine country that day, (yes, Oregon has a wine country-albeit in the rain right now) and may be a little late, but will forward 3 smoked turkeys as my contribution
to this great party! - presliced, of course, and on attractive serving plates. I'll be happy to assist in whatever area is needed.

Original ID: 199
Source:
Wayback Source:
Author: Meranda <maryc [at] europa.com>
Timestamp: November 14, 1996 at 09:19:16
Nov 14th, 1996 at 12:05 pm
Hey Irene!!!......

You can count me in for helping to teach a few tricks guests can do in WC Gold and I second Odin's suggestion about using an av the guests can see; great idea, fish face!!!... But as for the serving of food and drinks... well I think that should be kept to a minimum... I bet the ppl who are new to WC would rather hear about the program and learn some tricks rather than be served tea and cookies for the duration of the party... Those trying to learn may find it hard to follow any instructional text with all thoes iced cookies mixed in with it... *smile*

Group whispers should be explained to the guests and then any of them wanting to get information or learn tricks could be directed to go to "so-and-so" who could include them in a group and begin instructions... We all know it is easier to pay attention to whispers from one person than it is to try to follow all the conversations around them!!!

If we are going to do this we need to remember that guests (and users alike) may be slow readers and try not to clutter the screen with unnecessary chatter... As to what may be constituted unnecessary chatter, well I guess that will be for each individual to decide... *grin*

There may also be language problems in some instances so if you are fluent or even fairly fluent in any "foreign" languages please let it be known so that non-English speaking ppl can be directed to you...

This actually will be a big undertaking if we are to do it in a way that will be the most beneficial to the guests we are trying to welcome and I commend Irene on her kindness in wanting to do this... Irene you are a sweetheart!!!

If a core group can get something like this organized it could be something they could do every month or so... I think it would be an effective way to keep guests who want to learn about Worlds Chat Gold from becoming frustrated and then possibly becoming abusive in their frustration; or from giving up on the program completely...

Again, Irene, you are terrific!!! ...Let's all pitch in and work at making this a great party for the guests and maybe even establishing a WCG tradition!!!

bye for now...

Daphne

Original ID: 207
Source:
Wayback Source:
Author: Daphne <dcoon [at] tir.com>
Timestamp: November 14, 1996 at 12:05:43
Nov 14th, 1996 at 6:37 pm
Great Idea!! Love it!! You can count on me to be there!!

I have an idea, why not have someone stand near that podium thing behind the curtain, and post it here that it will be the information booth, i.e. someone who can tell which groups are performing which services, trick-teaching, information etc. and where they are located throughout the room? This would, of course, take a lot of concentration and good communication to and from the groups with this person/persons but I think it would help guests feel more comfortable about barging in on a conversation that was already in progress if there was someone to tell them it was okay...instead of maybe feeling they would be a bother...and if they can't make heads or tails of the room, there would always be someone there to direct them to the proper person/group for their particular question...what do you think? Feasable? Any volunteers? I would volunteer myself except I am a flutterby at parties, always running around making sure eveyone is happy, got a smile on, has a drink in their hand(s) *smile* and secretly checking out the pengie butts...oops...*wink*

Let me know what you think...

Aislynn

Original ID: 213
Source:
Wayback Source:
Author: Aislynn <ailsynn [at] cdsnet.net>
Timestamp: November 14, 1996 at 18:37:37
Nov 15th, 1996 at 5:27 pm
Aislynn,

I like it, great idea! Thanks! Now all we need to
do is figure out how to coordinate it...

Original ID: 216
Source:
Wayback Source:
Timestamp: November 15, 1996 at 17:27:59
Nov 15th, 1996 at 8:01 pm
Hey Irene:

How about posting directions here to the ob deck, for those guests who may not
know the way?

See you on the 30th!!

Dark Knight
Dark Knight:

Great idea, DK! Thanks for the suggestion!

Okay, here goes!

DIRECTIONS TO THE OB DECK FROM THE HUB CENTER

Once you are in the Hub Center, move your curser to the center of the Space Station map. (right bottom of your screen)

When you see "Upper Deck" appear in your LOCATION window, click on.

This will take you to the Upper Deck.

While still on the landing pad, make a right turn. You will see a hallway with a round window at the end. On the left side of the hallway is a black door with a blinking gold arch. Go to the black door, the room is called "Worlds Inc" and enter the room.You will now be in another hallway with all black doors.

Go down the hall to the last black doorway on the left, and into the room called "Events"

Once you enter "Events" you will notice a silver door on the left back wall. This is an elevator.

Enter the elevator.

Once in the elevator, turn around until you see the UP arrow button (it is blue) Click on it.
This will take you upstairs to the OBservation Deck (affectionately known as the OB)

Enjoy the party and learn to fly off the deck while you are there!!!!

PARTY DOWN! :-)

Original ID: 219
Source:
Wayback Source:
Timestamp: November 15, 1996 at 20:01:31