Jan 7th, 2023 at 9:20 pm

https://store.steampowered.com/app/214420/Gear_Up/

Gear Up was released around 2015 by Doctor Entertainment AB and gained some mild popularity for a bit. I recall playing it during it's hype and I really enjoyed it. The idea of mixing and mashing some parts made it simple yet customizable. It was fun to go around on these unique and cool cartoon-ish designs and blow up some tanks.

I lost interest in it though over time, along with many other people it seems. It's a shame because I definitely think the game has some potential but it failed to keep it going enough to use it. The last update was in 2018 and the game is still in a very buggy state. I had issues even getting audio to work, having to mess with other settings just to apply. Text, if long enough, will leave out some characters at the end. It's really sad. It still works but hardly anybody ever on. What is really upsetting to me though is that Doctor Entertainment AB seems to be gone. They don't seem to have a website anymore (and I know it only recently broke). I couldn't find anything on the people who are in it either that is up-to-date. It's like they just disappeared to do something else. Their site is in such a dysfunctional state, it doesn't even look like they paid their web-hosting bill.

It's definitely not a perfect game and is filled with design and technical flaws. It's too hard to get enough points for some of the good stuff, it's interface looks basic as hell, and the options to customize are very limited (which means you are more likely to find a tank exactly like yours). One of the biggest complaints I have that probably led to the games sad demise though is that everything is official. I think if it only had custom server support and modding/workshop, it might not be as dead today. I think it would be interesting to see what gamemodes people make, or what kind of servers they craft together. Maybe it might've made the Battle Royale stage, and servers of large maps and resources would appear making an interesting tank battle.

I don't know. I rather enjoyed this game and it's tanks, and think it was abandoned too soon. I have ideas and such but the developers seem to have dropped it in rubble and left it for good since 2018. Anybody else remember playing this?