Forums > The Library > Worlds.com
Nov 13th, 2023 at 10:10 pm (edited)
As you know, I have created a fork of the Fandom wiki to Miraheze. This is something I wanted to do for a long time.

This is a new migration and revitalization of the old wiki from Fandom and Miraheze will be a great home for the wiki.

This is will hopefully replace and be the new home for the Worlds Chat Wiki.

The wiki is here: The Worlds Chat Wiki

However as for the fate of the Fandom version of the wiki is not up to me. DrFrasierCrane and BicPenLysolWipe are the owners and admins of the Fandom wiki and not me. What will happen to the Fandom wiki will be entirely up to them.

Here is a quick FAQ about the new wiki:

What the heck is Miraheze?
Miraheze is a non-profit wiki hosting service that provides free MediaWiki hosting, funded by donations. It's known for its commitment to community governance and open-source principles.

Why the fork? Why not just have the wiki on Fandom?
Because Fandom (previously known as Wikia) is an absolute ad-ridden, corporate, restrictive nightmare. You do not need to have an ad-blocker on JUST TO VIEW THE WIKI NORMALLY. Here are some links as to why Fandom sucks dong: An article by KoopaTV as why people don't like Fandom and YouTuber Mossbag explaining why Fandom sucks and why many wikis are leaving/forking.

What is the difference between the Fandom and Miraheze wiki?
First off, the Miraheze wiki will be completely devoid of ads (as Miraheze runs on donations to run, so hand them a buck or two.) The only thing close to ads is the web badges in the home page that link you to other Worlds.com users and archivists.
The wiki also has its own custom CSS and users/admins have full control of the wiki.

Is the wiki finished?
Nope, as of starting this thread, the wiki is anything near finished. I am still working on importing the articles from the old wiki and formatting them for Miraheze. This can take maybe a few weeks to complete.

Can I help or contribute right now?
Yes, you can!

If Miraheze shuts down, what will happen to the wiki!?
Don't worry! I will constantly back up the wiki as much as I can if this very real scenario happens. So don't worry about the wiki being lost to time if Miraheze falls.

Here is a snapshot of the wiki as of November 13th, 2023.
Nov 16th, 2023 at 6:59 pm
I'll touch up some of the pages some time.
Nov 16th, 2023 at 10:01 pm
I won't lie, I was a little peeved because I started wiki.worlio.com not just to finally have a good place to put actual details on for all we archive and talk about here, but because I hated the environment of Fandom and it's shitty tactics. So, I already had something that was sort of this, free to contribute to, and available. I'll get over it though because when it comes to our weird obscure stuff and information about it, the more the merrier. Plus, when you spread out your ground just enough, you get more people interested, so I'm hoping this helps contribute to both of our efforts.

FYI, I am not an admin of the Fandom. I helped contribute a bit but do not any longer and do not like my name associated with it. If there are two names you want to associate with that wiki, it's DrFrasierCrane and BicPenLysolWipe.
Nov 16th, 2023 at 10:40 pm
To be completely honest, I was a bit nervous about making the Miraheze wiki/fork. Not because I couldn't do it, but because it has already been done before (i.e. The Worlio Wiki and Fandom wiki). I made the wiki as a hobby and to archive information about WorldsPlayer (Worlds Chat) from the old wiki. I wanted to remove all of Fandom's shady garbage and make it feel like THE WORLDS WIKI instead of using the same template and restrictions as every other wiki on Fandom.

I understand why you might have gotten a bit irritated because now there is another wiki and you made a wiki before me with the same goals as mine. I worried if I made the Miraheze wiki that I might get some backlash from the old creators/contributors of the wiki. DrFrasierCrane seems completely on board with my wiki.

Of course I have removed your name from the post (I haven't included it in the wiki tho) and replaced it with Bic's.

Nov 17th, 2023 at 12:28 am
It's all good. I just don't want us to be spread out too thin. It's a small community, and the last thing we need is a bunch of wikis from several people.
Nov 17th, 2023 at 11:29 am
It's nice that FraiserCrane is supportive of this, however I feel like the information on that wiki should be considered free to use as the whole point is to preserve internet history, so whether they approve of it or not shouldn't matter all too much. I think what you're doing is a net positive regardless of who you ask as long as it's moderated well and the information is clean and verified.
Nov 19th, 2023 at 3:37 pm
It's nice that FraiserCrane is supportive of this, however I feel like the information on that wiki should be considered free to use as the whole point is to preserve internet history, so whether they approve of it or not shouldn't matter all too much. I think what you're doing is a net positive regardless of who you ask as long as it's moderated well and the information is clean and verified.
Fandom uses the CC BY-SA license (src) for all its wiki content. All that is required is that proper attributions are given and the same license is used.
Guest posting not allowed
Please log in to post a reply.