Forums > The Library > General Library
Protoweb
Created by cammy
Joined04/01/24
Posts33
May 1st, 2024 at 1:12 pm
Any users of/contributors to Protoweb here? If you've never heard of it, it's a Web proxy aimed specifically at retro browsers that features hand-restored versions of 90s websites and FTP servers (with Gopher support forthcoming, I'm helping with that a bit). Contributors grab a site from the Wayback Machine, fix all the links and images, get the interactive stuff working again using PHP or bash or whatever else, and the site can be browsed by folks at their original URLs as sort of a museum and archive of the 90s Internet. There's other proxies that grab directly from the Wayback Machine, and that's valuable on its own, but that also means you're dealing with Wayback grabs, and we all know they are, uh, iffy

My restoration of the site for the eMachines Network just went up a couple of minutes ago, so that makes three sites I've restored since I started working on stuff back in March (bleem.com and imax.com were the other two). I've been really enjoying having an outlet for all the useless knowledge I've accrued making sites that play nice with old Web browsers, and I've got a bunch more ideas for sites to tackle next.
May 1st, 2024 at 8:14 pm (edited)
I could certainly contribute, I have a couple ideas for sites I could help with and I actually have one mostly restored website thanks to some members of another forum but as for doing it myself I don't exactly have the skills needed to uncover broken links effectively. If I have anything of value I'll let you know soon though.
I haven't submitted anything just yet
Joined04/01/24
Posts33
May 2nd, 2024 at 9:43 am (edited)
I could certainly contribute, I have a couple ideas for sites I could help with and I actually have one mostly restored website thanks to some members of another forum but as for doing it myself I don't exactly have the skills needed to uncover broken links effectively. If I have anything of value I'll let you know soon though.
I haven't submitted anything just yet
I just use wget to check for broken links. I restore sites on my home Web server as opposed to on the developer proxy (you log into a different proxy than the public one to restore sites) because it's faster, and that means I can run wget in spider mode over the whole site to find broken links. It won't find referrers, but it's not rocket science to just do a Find in Files in Notepad++ for the name of the broken link and find all the references to it. I'm sure any halfway decent text editor has a similar function, BBEdit certainly did.

But yeah, do join and apply to be a contributor! Protoweb can always use the help (and donations, but that's another topic and a longer term goal). I actually restored another very small site in the time since I posted that, the one for Worldcraft, which was the original name for the Valve Hammer Editor. I'm holding off on submitting it for final review because I'd rather pace the releases out slightly, but in the next week or so, that should be up, and then I'll be on to restoring something new.
Jun 30th, 2024 at 6:15 pm
Oh, how fitting there is a thread here. I've been looking to contribute but it seems the registration key is locked behind asking on their Discord. I don't use Discord and have no desire to, and I don't see any alternative contact methods anywhere on the site. I would really like to pass user domains through with plans to work on a retro-web version of Worlio in the future too. I have a few other sites I'd like to contribute too. If I can't contribute without their Discord, looks like I'll have to do something else though.
Joined04/01/24
Posts33
Jun 30th, 2024 at 11:34 pm (edited)
Oh, how fitting there is a thread here. I've been looking to contribute but it seems the registration key is locked behind asking on their Discord. I don't use Discord and have no desire to, and I don't see any alternative contact methods anywhere on the site. I would really like to pass user domains through with plans to work on a retro-web version of Worlio in the future too. I have a few other sites I'd like to contribute too. If I can't contribute without their Discord, looks like I'll have to do something else though.
All communication between admins and contributors is through their Discord. Sorry!
Jun 30th, 2024 at 11:34 pm
All communication between admins and contributors is through their Discord. Sorry!
Guest posting not allowed
Please log in to post a reply.