Forums > The Library > General Library
PraiseWorld3D
Created by sl0nderman
Jan 19th, 2023 at 4:48 pm (edited)

Someone commented on a recent Worlds TikTok of mine, asking if it had any relation to "PraiseWorld3D," which I've never heard of, so of course I started digging. It's a Worlds/SecondLife -like program but centered around churches and virtual worship.

Here is the Website on archive.org. It dates back to around 2008 and stops some time in 2021. It doesn't look like the download was archived, I wonder if it's still floating around somewhere online.

There's also a Facebook page with a lot of screenshots.

There's about 3 YouTube channels with content. Two of them seemed to be run by "Rick Heid," the developer maybe?
This one seems like it was just a random person exploring:
Jan 19th, 2023 at 8:55 pm
God Bless.

This looks like ActiveWorlds. The UI is mostly the same, and it's possible that it's just another world for it or another client. I'll mention Sgeo here since he's the guy I know that knows AW.
Jan 19th, 2023 at 9:05 pm
God Bless.

This looks like ActiveWorlds. The UI is mostly the same, and it's possible that it's just another world for it or another client. I'll mention Sgeo here since he's the guy I know that knows AW.
it does look like it. were there other alternate AW clients that we know about? the blog on the website seems to imply it's something he made himself but i guess that could just imply world building. I'm going to reach out to the email on the facebook page and see what i can find.
Joined06/07/21
Posts69
Jan 20th, 2023 at 4:50 pm (edited)
This is a very interesting find. As Wirla mentioned before, this actually is associated with ActiveWorlds. This is what it shows if you look into the download part of the website
Jan 20th, 2023 at 8:25 pm
Was ActiveWorlds known to have a lot of sponsors, or is it rare to see rebrands like this?
Jan 20th, 2023 at 11:23 pm
This is a very interesting find. As Wirla mentioned before, this actually is associated with ActiveWorlds. This is what it shows if you look into the download part of the website
oh yeah i didn't even notice that! good notice
Joined06/07/21
Posts69
Jan 21st, 2023 at 12:24 pm
The download isn't available though, so I'm excited to hear if there's any news :3
Jan 21st, 2023 at 9:10 pm
my email got bounced, i guess it was actually being hosted the same place as their website
Jan 23rd, 2023 at 4:33 am (edited)
Here is a nice introductory video I found on their Facebook. I was hoping to find any form of contact or anything, but just usernames from what I saw.

It also looks as if this was a lot more than just an ActiveWorlds place. They were pretty sizeable even outside, it was just one of their offerings. They seemed to try and promote a social media that isn't up anymore near the end of their life.
Jan 23rd, 2023 at 6:00 am
There's about 3 YouTube channels with content. Two of them seemed to be run by "Rick Heid," the developer maybe?
This seems to be true according to an abandoned Twitter account from 2009 and the Florida state's business registry. I wouldn't assume he's a developer but probably just a founder. First page of Google tells us a lot.

The Twitter account is linked to a Cherise Anderson, who appears to be the level builder for PraiseWorlds.

A defunct internet radio station, not sure if it had any special purpose or not.
Joined09/12/21
Posts4
Jan 23rd, 2023 at 9:31 pm
Activeworlds used to sell "uniserver" (universe server), separate instantiations of the server that controls authentication and which worlds exist and their names, etc.

So this could be a separate universe that someone bought, licensed from AW (or potentially pirated, copies of the uniserver have leaked out in the past).

Or it could be a "galaxy", which I believe was just a universe that only supported one world, though not totally sure.

If the installer is still available, aworld.ini of the installed software will point to the universe it was supposed to connect to.
Guest posting not allowed
Please log in to post a reply.